A new book is due out in early 2013 that marks the centenary of the publication of Roland Allen’s Missionary Methods: Saint Paul’s or Ours? (Allen’s book is available for free at http://www.archive.org here: Missionary Methods: Saint Paul’s or Ours?). Here are the publisher details:
Paul’s Missionary Methods: In His Time and Ours
Edited by Robert L. Plummer and John Mark Terry
What does Paul’s missions strategy mean for today?
A century ago Roland Allen published Missionary Methods: Saint Paul’s or Ours?, a missiological classic which tackled many important issues, including what biblically rooted missions looks like in light of the apostle Paul’s evangelistic efforts. Although Allen’s work is still valuable, new understandings have been gained regarding Paul’s milieu and missionary activity, and how his practices ought to inform missions in our ever-changing world.
Using the centennial anniversary of Allen’s work as a springboard for celebration and reflection, the contributors to Paul’s Missionary Methods have revisited Paul’s first-century missionary methods and their applicability today. This book examines Paul’s missionary efforts in two parts. First Paul is examined in his first-century context: what was his environment, missions strategy and teaching on particular issues? The second part addresses the implications of Paul’s example for missions today: is Paul’s model still relevant, and if so, what would it look like in modern contexts?
Experts in New Testament studies and missiology contribute fresh, key insights from their fields, analyzing Paul’s missionary methods in his time and pointing the way forward in ours.
Part One: Paul in the New Testament
1. Paul’s Religious and Historical Milieu – Michael F. Bird
2. Paul the Missionary – Eckhard J. Schnabel
3. Paul’s Gospel – Robert L. Plummer
4. Paul’s Ecclesiology – Benjamin L. Merkle
5. Paul’s Mission as the Mission of the Church – Christoph W. Stenschke
6. Paul’s Theology of Suffering – Don N. Howell, Jr.
7. Paul and Spiritual Warfare – Craig Keener
Part Two: Paul’s Influence on Missions
8. Paul’s Missions Strategy – David J. Hesselgrave
9. Paul’s Strategy: Determinative for Today? – Michael Pocock
10. Paul and Indigenous Missions – John Mark Terry
11. Paul and Church Planting – Ed Stetzer with Lizette Beard
12. Paul and Contextualization – M. David Sills
13. Paul and Leadership Development – Chuck Lawless
14. Roland Allen’s Missionary Methods at One Hundred – J. D. Payne
Here’s a link to a sample: Paul’s Missionary Methods: In His Time and Ours