Here’s an exciting opportunity for anyone wanting to learn how to communicate the Bible to people who, for whatever reason, don’t do books.
The Bible Storying course is part of Redcliffe’s Centre for Linguistics, Translation and Literacy and is taught in partnership with the fantastic Wycliffe Bible Translators and SIL. If you are interested in the whole area of the Bible and orality then check out these blog posts on orality, and the Bible and Orality page of our Resources Section.
Here some further info about the Bible Storying course from the Redcliffe website:
Monday 18 – Saturday 23 November 2013
From the beginning of time, stories have formed an important part of how we communicate. Where there is no written language, telling stories helps the listener discover their history and see where they fit within a bigger story.
God’s Story as revealed in the Bible is no exception. There are many cultures around the world which rely on oral communication, and many more where large numbers of the population are not literate or do not read – even in the UK.
Our intensive Chronological Bible Storying course will give you the skills to help people engage with God’s Word through the retelling of Biblical Stories. This method has been used with people who prefer audio or visual ways of learning as well as in cultures where the Bible is not available in printed form. It is taught in partnership with Wycliffe Bible Translators and SIL, as part of Redcliffe’s Centre for Linguistics, Translation and Literacy.
Who is the course for:
- Anyone interested in learning about story crafting and biblical storying
- Anyone already, or planning to, work with Scripture in an oral culture
- Anyone already, or planning to, work with people who enjoy audio and visual ways of learning.
The course will help you to:
- Tell a story to a small group, help others to learn the story, and lead a discussion about the spiritual application of the story
- Understand the worldviews of the group, which stories are most appropriate to the group and and how to adapt your story to a given worldview
- Begin story crafting with a Bibleless language group, or people already with Scriptures but who need help in engaging with them to understand the Bible’s whole story. They could be somewhere remote or even in your own town in the UK or Europe!
- Training is entirely oral and participatory – no texts or handouts
- It’s an intense 6 day workshop – you must be present for all the days
- Dates: 18 – 23 November 2013, Monday – Saturday
Cost and to book
The cost is £275 for 6 days residential, or £187 non-residential (including lunch and dinner each day).
Visit Redcliffe’s website for booking details: Bible Storying course